THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
You shall have no other gods before me. - EXODUS 20:3
The Ten Commandments reveal our need to be saved from sin.
God wants people to be holy.
Open your bibles to today’s passage. Read the story out loud.
- What does “holy” mean? Can a person be holy?
- How many commandments did God give the people? Can you name them all?
- Can we keep all the Ten Commandments all the time? (No) What does that teach us about ourselves?
- Why was Jesus’ death on the cross important?
- How do you feel when you think about what Jesus did for you? Excited? Surprised? Confused? Talk about it!
- How can you show you are thankful for what Jesus did for you?
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you for your gift salvation
You are a wonderful, loving Father
Please help me to joyfully obey
In Jesus’ name, amen
MONTHLY MEMORY VERSE
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” - PROVERBS 3:5-6
After working together to memorize the verse, go through the following questions:
- Can you be close friends with someone if you don’t trust them? How is that like a relationship with God?
- What are some things that you can ask God to help you with today?