The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him. - Exodus 15:2
Like God provided a way to freedom at the Red Sea, He gives us freedom from sin in Jesus.
God is more powerful than our enemies.
Ask your child to retell this Sunday’s bible story to you.
- What is special about what happened at the Red Sea?
- Why is God able to part the sea? (He created it; He is powerful, etc.)
- When is the last time you were afraid? Why were you afraid?
- Is it hard to trust God when you are afraid? Why or why not?
- Talk about a time when God protected you.
- Can you think of another bible story where God showed His power? What happened?
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you for your protection
You are more powerful than anyone
Please help me to trust You when I am afraid
In Jesus’ name, amen
MONTHLY MEMORY VERSE
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” - PROVERBS 3:5-6
After working together to memorize the verse, go through the following questions:
- Has it ever been difficult for you to trust in the Lord? Why or why not?
- Talk about a time that you trusted God, and how He took care of you.