CAIN & ABEL
“We love because he first loved us.” - GENESIS 1:27
Like Abel, Jesus was killed even though he didn’t deserve it.
We should give to God with a happy heart.
Open your bibles to today’s passage. Review the story together.
- What made Cain unhappy? What was different about Cain and Abel’s offerings to God?
- When was the last time you became very angry? How does our anger make us like Cain?
- Think about a time you did the right thing, but with a bad attitude. Were there any consequences?
- What were the consequences for Cain? Did God still show him mercy? (Yes! He punished Cain’s sin, but protected him from harm.)
- What does God care more about- your heart, or your actions? How does your heart affect your actions?
- What can you do to make sure your heart honors God?
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you loving me no matter what
You choose to forgive, protect, and care for Your people
Please help me to have a heart that loves and honors You
In Jesus’ name, amen
MONTHLY MEMORY VERSE
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone, the new is here!” - 2 Corinthians 5:17
After working together to memorize the verse, go through the following questions:
- How does Jesus make us new?