JESUS IN THE TEMPLE COURTS
“Why were you looking for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” - LUKE 2:49
Like Simeon and Anna waited for Jesus’ arrival, we are waiting for Him to return.
Jesus is the Son of God.
Open your bible and read today’s passage out loud as a family.
- What promise was Simeon waiting for?
- Can you name some other promises in the bible? (Ex: the rainbow, Abraham and Isaac, God sending a Savior, God promising to never leave or forsake us, etc.)
- Have you ever made a promise that you couldn’t keep? Why couldn’t you keep it?
- What is different about our promises and God’s promises? (God will always, always, always keep His promises!)
- What happened when Mary and Joseph left Jerusalem?
- Where did they find Jesus? What was he doing?
- Read verse 49 out loud. What do you think Jesus meant when He said that?
- Jesus is the Son of God, and he never sinned or disobeyed! Why do you think this is important for when He went to the cross? (He traded His obedience for our sin so that we could be saved)
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you for keeping your promises
You are a holy and perfect Father
Please help me to trust your Word more than anything else
In Jesus’ name, amen
THIS MONTH’S FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT: OBEDIENCE
As a family, go through the following questions…
What are some reasons that we disobey sometimes?
What should your attitude be like when you obey?
How can we see obedience in this story? (See: Luke 2:51)