THE TOWER OF BABEL
“For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” - LUKE 14:11
Like God punished the people’s pride at the Tower of Babel, Jesus taught people to be humble.
God wants us to honor Him.
Open your bibles to today’s passage. Read the story out loud together.
- What is “pride?” What is “humility?”
- How were the people in the story being prideful?
- Is pride always a bad thing? Why or why not?
- Was it important to Jesus to always be the first and the best? Think of a bible story to help you decide. (ex: washing the disciples’ feet, being friends with sinners)
- What are some ways that we can show God honor?
- Why is it important to honor God?
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you for teaching us how to be humble
You are a good and loving Father
Please help me to honor you with my words and actions
In Jesus’ name, amen
THIS MONTH’S FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT: PEACE
As a family, go through the following questions…
Can you think of a time you felt peaceful? What happened?
Why does God want us to have peace?
How can we see peace in today’s bible story?