BALAAM & HIS DONKEY
“God said to Balaam, ‘You shall not go with them. You shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.’” - NUMBERS 22:12
Like Balaam, Jesus spoke the truth about God.
God can do the impossible to reach His people.
Open a bible to today’s passage. Read it out loud as a family.
- What was Balaam on his way to do? (curse the Israelites)
- What did the donkey see that Balaam didn’t?
- How did God stop Balaam? What did He tell him to do instead?
- God sent Balaam a warning to try to get him to do the right thing. Have you ever gotten a warning about something? How did it affect your decision?
- Can you think of another story of God doing something impossible to reach His people? (splitting the Red Sea, making food fall from the sky for the Israelites, bringing Jesus back to life)
- What can this teach us about God? (His power, His love for us)
To affirm someone is to tell them what you know to be true about them. We can see affirmation used to uplift people in Scripture. (ex: Paul’s letters to the churches; see Philemon 1:4-7).
Take this time to encourage each member of your family through affirmation.
How do you see them becoming more like Jesus? What makes you thankful for them? Share these things with one another now as a family.
Read the following prayer out loud. Have your kids repeat after you:
Dear God, thank you for all of your blessings
You are a God who stops at nothing to protect Your people
Please help me to share Your truth to reach others
In Jesus’ name, amen
MONTHLY MEMORY VERSE
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” - JOHN 3:16
After working together to memorize the verse, go through the following questions:
- Did God love us before He sent Jesus? (Yes!)
- How did God show His love for His people in today’s bible story? (He wouldn’t let them be cursed)